Mission

Founded in 2008, Love Bug Bundles strives to support mothers in need and make each newborn's introduction to the world one complete with basic necessities that promote safety and well-being. Our programs improve outcomes for these families by providing education and resources that help alleviate the stress of poverty and prevent family crisis.

Love Bug Bundles is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation.

In Texas, 25% of children live in poverty.
In Texas, 1 in 10 children lives in extreme poverty.

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Now Is Always the Time to Give Love



As I celebrated my birthday six years ago on February 28, 2008, six weeks after the birth of our first child, I had an idea about love. At a small birthday gathering, I asked guests not to bring gifts unless they were to bring newborn items for babies in need. Soon I had one-hundred donated items.

Still not yet sure of how I could meaningfully serve others, I prayed on my birthday and for the next six days. On March 6, while rocking our newborn to sleep in a dark nursery, I felt overwhelmingly grateful for our love bug. In that gratitude, I found a name for my mission, Love Bug Bundles.

Over the past six years, we have worked to give love to families in need. With the tremendous support of the community, we have been able to do big things like host fundraisers for newborns while we still had newborns ourselves and even collect 13,408 diapers in one morning. We have also done very small things like give a one-year-old a winter coat just in time for last week's harsh weather in Houston and send a safe stroller to a grandmother caring for her new grandson in the very south of Mexico.

There is no measure for these big and small efforts to serve others. In all these ways, my only hope has been to make life better for others and my only regret has been that this work is still insufficient. I am truly grateful we have accomplished the big and small things, but I am most grateful to feel a sense of insufficiency. Although I believe even the smallest act of kindness is worthwhile, I pray that I always see the work we have done as not enough. There is so very much more to do in this world, there are so very many in need, we have so great a journey to one peace.

I am grateful for another unexpected part of Love Bug Bundles...the collective work of all our babies, our smallest supporters. In the earliest days, our two-year-old son helped me prepare newborn bundles for what he called "the babies" and precariously transport infant bath tubs that were practically his size. For our Fair Day, many young children brought diapers and participated in the kick ball tournament with their families. At our art gallery soirée, two poised young women presented a stunning South Indian classical dance performance for our guests. And one spring, a local Brownie Troop earned their baby shower badge by collecting donations for three mothers and babies.

Our children need to see that compassion is everything and they see best by doing.

I thank you for every way you have supported me, our board, and the people Love Bug Bundles serves. We are all one. We must remember our humanity. Remember compassion as our purpose. Take responsibility for the pain we see in our world.

As we celebrate our sixth anniversary, I ask you to always see now as the acceptable time to give love. Help your children live out compassion. And, whether you can give something big or small, always pray. The world needs you. Thank you for everything. Hope to see you soon. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment